Tuesday

Old enough to vote

I have been reviewing and reflecting on my educational beliefs over the past few weeks. The end of the school year sometimes makes you do that.

I sat down to write my statement of educational beliefs about 18 years ago. I am truly amazed that the underlying beliefs about teaching and learning are that old, yet super relevant. Many of the words I used long ago are still very relevant today.

It is a little weird in that I feel I have grown so much as an educator during the last 18 years, but my underlying beliefs have remained the same. With just a few tweaks over the years, here is what I wrote 18 years ago:

I have a strong conviction in the inherent curiosity of the individual. Curious minds need an encouraging, enthusiastic, empathetic and stimulating community for learning to take place. I feel it is my role as an educator to encourage each student’s discovery of his or her interests and cultivate their pursuit for lifelong learning. In collaboration with teachers, parents and students, a learning community is developed where:


  • Students’ individual learning needs are met
  • Students pursue a variety of avenues to achieve high academic standards
  • Students work collaboratively to solve complex problems
  • Students draw upon personal experiences to make connections with their learning
  • Students engage in meaningful learning activities that are assessed frequently
  • Students express themselves proficiently in verbal and written form
  • Students’ questions drive the curriculum
  • Students are stimulated to think critically and creatively, and are encouraged to reflect on what they have learned
  • Students take an active role in establishing a safe and supportive learning environment
  • Students bring resources into the classroom
  • The Educator is the facilitator of learning


Developing this community of learners will help prepare students for the challenges of an increasingly interdependent world. In this world, I believe students need to communicate their ideas in many different ways, work together to broker various solutions, and question the endless options that are available to them.    

No comments:

Post a Comment